You’ve finally bought a biometric fingerprint safe for your gun. Congratulations! If you have a gun and you need to keep it safe and accessible at all times, having a biometric safe is the best way to go.
But, you have to remember that biometric security is not a fool-proof method. There are ways for hackers and burglars to gain access to your safe.
Because of this, you need to add another layer of protection to your safe to make sure that your gun will always be inaccessible to unauthorized people. Here are a few simple ways on how to secure your biometric safe.
Securing your Biometric Fingerprint Safe
Hide your Gun Safe
It makes sense that you would want your gun safe to be accessible at all times. It means that you need to make sure that it is always within your reach when you need it. But, leaving it out in the open will not be a good idea.
If you are hesitant to hide your gun vault, here are some of the reasons why you should do it.
- The chance of being robbed is higher than having someone enter your home with the intent to harm your family. Burglars will only take money or anything valuable in your house. If they see your gun safe out in the open, they might change their mind and use it against your family.
- It is better if the burglars have no idea that you have guns in your house. You have to remember that before they start their operation, they will find all information about your house. It is possible that they already know where to enter and the best time to do it.
- If you have kids in the house, it is better to keep your gun safes hidden. Even if the vault is protected by biometric or code, it is a lot safer if you keep it out of sight.
Hiding your guns in the closet or under the bed is not a good idea anymore. Burglars know where to look for them and they would eventually find it if you will only keep the gun safe in common areas. Here are a few ideas where you can hide your gun safe:
- For a small gun safe, you can hide it under the floorboard. If you have a wooden floor in your house, you can put the vault under a wooden floor. Make sure that you can easily access it during an emergency.
- You can hide a small safe behind a hanging portrait or painting. You can even put it behind a mirror. It may seem like a cliché, but it’s definitely one of the smartest tricks that you can do to hide your safe.
Have At Least 2 Methods to Open the Gun Safe
There are gun vaults that require you to scan your fingerprint and input the code to open it. You can even find other models that would require you to do more security checks before you can open the safe.
However, this method is only applicable to larger vaults. If you are keeping different types of guns inside your house, it is better to have 2 or more security checks before you open it.
For smaller vaults made for handguns, it requires quick access. It means that biometric security is a better option. You can just swipe your fingers and you can access your gun right away.
Install your Gun Safe to the Wall or Floor
A small gun vault can be stolen if it’s not bolted or installed in the wall or floor. Even if it’s hidden in your closet, there is a chance that it would be stolen. Although bigger vaults are harder to carry, burglars can bring them out as well.
The best way to keep your vault secure is to bolt it down to your floor or wall. If you don’t want to damage the floor, you can always install it on the wall. The idea is to make sure that the burglars or robbers won’t have a chance to carry the gun vault.
One of the things that you have to keep in mind is the place where the gun vault would be installed. Avoid areas with too much humidity. Moisture can damage the gun and the safe. Avoid places like the basement, garage, and attic.
You should not bolt the safe to a wooden slab as well. The burglars will simply remove the wooden slab and take the gun safe with them.
Make your Gun Safe Extremely Heavy
If you have a big gun vault inside your house, you just need to make it too heavy for burglars to move. Remember that robbers will not waste their time moving something too heavy. Here are a few simple tricks that you can use:
- Get sandbags and put them at the bottom of the safe. The sandbags would serve as additional weights to make sure that the burglars will have a hard time moving the vault.
- You can add lead bars to add more weight to the safe. The bottom part is usually hollow so instead of putting unnecessary things, get some lead bars and make the safe heavy.
- Adding poured concrete will also be a good choice. Although it would take more time and effort, this is an effective way to make the safe heavier.
- You can attach the gun safe to other heavy things inside your house. You can bolt it to your cabinet. You can even combine multiple safes to make them heavy.
A biometric fingerprint safe can prevent unauthorized access to your firearms. But, it is better to add more security so robbers will not have the opportunity to use it against your family. You should also look for a top-quality biometric safe as it would make it harder for the robbers to access your gun.
Firearms are supposed to protect you and they should never be used to threaten your life. Always keep these simple tricks in mind and protect your gun safe against unauthorized access.